CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 21, 2008

God bless the inventor of the swaddle blanket

Alex is finally starting to sleep for longer then 2 hours at at time!! We never really swaddled him after he was about a week old because I thought he hated having his arms confined. I have read many articles and books about how to get your infant to sleep better and the number one recommendation is to swaddle the baby. Yet I snubbed the advice thinking MY baby was different and wouldn't tolerate the baby straight jacket technique. Well, I read a book that explained that one the many benefits of swaddling, besides replicating the womb is that it keeps babies from waking themselves up when they startle. I started to think about how often I see Alex startle when he is asleep in his bouncy seat or his swing and decided I would give swaddling one more try. I used to laugh at the people who would buy a "special" swaddling blanket asking myself what kind of moron can't figure out how to swaddle using a regular blanket, but I realized that the swaddle blankets have Velcro to prevent babies from wiggling out. GENIUS!! I now own two swaddle blankets and they have been a life saver. Alex goes to sleep about 10 pm and sleep until 8 am, waking only once during the night to eat. As a result he is a much happier baby during the day and mommy is less like a zombie and more like a human. So, I say thank God for the person who decided to put Velcro on a blanket. My only regret is that I didn't think of it myself. I could be rich.

On different note. I sent my seat deposit for law school today. So, there's no turning back! When August rolls around I will be a law student. A broke law student, but hey.....at least I'll be able to stay home with Alex.

3 comments:

Angela said...

Awesome that Alex is sleeping more and you are more human now! Why can't we ever think of those great ideas that would make us rich.

Jamie said...

Good luck with Law School! And congrats on finding a way to get your baby to sleep!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wish I knew about that blanket when Tyler was an infant. I may have had a chance to be human then too. I am extremely happy that you are going to Law School. You'll do great!!

Pumpkin Patch